Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My first week with the iPad2

Six days ago I was in the Best Buy store with my husband looking at televisions. When we'd picked out the one we were going to buy he turned to me and said, "while we're here, you need to buy your iPad."

I wanted to argue with him, tell him it was too soon, that we'd already dropped a lot of money on the television and that I could wait. Instead I just said okay and he asked the salesperson if they had one in stock "the biggest one they sell" is what he asked for. She said they only had one left and asked if we'd like to put it on hold and pick it up the next day or Saturday so we could get it tax free because it was included in the tax free weekend. We agreed, put down a deposit and went home.

I'm still amazed that I let it be that simple. I've wanted an iPad for a very long time. It's not that my iPod touch isn't wonderful. I love it... seriously. The iPad is oh so much more, though. The bigger screen making everything so much easier to see is just the tip of the iceberg.

I picked up my iPad on Friday, August 5th. In the 5 days since then I have done the following (in no particular order):
- downloaded the HD versions of my favorite games *cough* Angry Birds.. all of them *cough*
- read my first ebook "Heaven Is For Real" by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent (absolutely amazing read)
- added all of my iTunes library to it
- listened to music while I work (in fairness, I normally do this all the time with the iPod touch)
- surfed the internet for Harley accessories with my husband.. in BED!! (also checked my email, updated facebook and posted on geekpreserve... but you know, I don't want to overshare here)
- organized all of my games and other apps
- created an event on the calendar for our son's 21st birthday

That doesn't seem like a lot I guess but it's been a wonderful experience. Things are super simple on the iPad. I get how it works and don't have to spend a lot of time trying to find what I'm looking for. I'm not sure if that's because I was already familiar with the iPod touch or not but it's really great to be able to turn on a device and know where the thing I'm looking for is.

Reading a book was better than I expected. I still love to hold a book in my hands when I read but that's just me. I guess I just like the way the paper feels in my hands. I don't really know.

The only hurdle for me with the iPad is the price. I've had this issue with Apple for a long time and I suppose it's really not their fault. When you can buy a PC package for $500 and it serves the purpose you intended it to, it's hard to justify spending at least twice that for the same purpose. Especially when you are providing computers for four and at one time six people to be using in your home. It's not that I didn't know the power that Apple delivered or the quality, it was simply the price. I couldn't justify it. Hell, even today holding my iPad in my hands I was feeling guilty because I "could" have just bought a Touchpad, a Kindle or a Nook and saved a ton of money (though they wouldn't have provided everything I have in my hands now). On this side of that purchase, I have no regrets. I absolutely love my iPad2... immensely.

It's still my first week with it and I haven't really used even a third of the features it offers. I'm in awe of how awesome human beings can be when they work to create something like this. It's truly amazing to hold such a small piece of technology in your hands and then realize you have the world at your fingertips. You just have to reach out for it.



No comments: